While most of us would like to think we have a healthy relationship with our phones, the facts just don’t back this up! Distracted parenting has been a hot topic recently and some experts link the rise in smartphone ownership with the rise in emergency room visits for kids under 5. Here are a few suggestions for keeping our relationships with our phones more balanced:
- No devices during mealtimes.
- Leave the game-playinng (Words with Friends) until the kids are in bed.
- No Texting or talking on the phone while driving
- Put away the phone if the kids are swimming unattended or doing anything else potentially dangerous.
- Designate “No Tech Zones” in your home and respect them!
Things are not all doom and gloom! Here are a few tips on how to integrate this amazing technology into our lives for the better. Check out a few of our favorite apps while you are standing in the slow line at the grocery store with your kids!
Kids 2-7 years old:
· Hoopa City: A pre-school friendly world-building game that appeals to older kids as well. There are no rules at all – kids will have a blast figuring out everything they can build, from beaches to amusement parks to universities.· Barefoot World Atlas: An educational app that gives children an interactive look at animals, indigenous people, science, and hobbies around the world. With beautiful graphics and high-quality narration, this app puts kids in charge of their learning.
· Duolingo: Using a fun, game-style system, kids (and grown-ups) can learn any of five languages – Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, German, and French.· Scribblenauts Remix: A popular puzzle app that encourages and rewards players for using their imagination. Open-ended situational challenges will keep kids on their toes and empower them to devise creative solutions.